Wednesday 13 January 2010

Joburg Open preview 2010

Last week I lost £15, giving me a cumulative blog gain of £108. Not much to say really about that - not too bad, not great.

Looking ahead to this week, there seems to me so many players who look like good bets this week. Maybe I am wrong or maybe these are 2 events where its easy to pick good performers (note that I focus on spreadbetting so I can pick 40 players if I like and make a profit on all of them theoretically - if I were making fixed odd bets then of course it would be more difficult this week as there are so many players to choose from - although one could focus on Top 20 places perhaps with some success this week).

Anyway, after that ramble, I'll start with the Joburg Open. The first thing to note here is that this is played over 2 courses this week and there are lots more players playing than normal because of this (easier to fit in more players). The West course was on average 3 shots easier than the East course last year, over the first 2 rounds. I presume the bookies are aware of this and will adjust odds accordingly after round 1 - I will be checking this just in case they don't though!

Second, it appears that good driving was an important - the successful players tended to be solid in both driving accuracy and driving distance. I have not discerned any other unusual characteristics about these courses. So the only other factors I am basing my picks on are recent form and past form on this course.

I do think the usual suspects will do well here - Schwartzel etc. So my top 5 are:

A.Hansen, Molinari, Mclardy, Oosthuizen, and Sterne

There are other players who are worth a spreadbet though, or a top 20 place bet. So, the list of these players is long and I will not bore you with them all. However, notable ones are:

Rock - good distance, consistent play in 2009, good recent form, ok performance here when he last played

Andersson Hed - this player is one of the form players of the past 3 months and I see no reason for this to change here, yet he is very seldom mentioned by any tipsters

Mclardy - great record here and qualified for the PGA tour recently so his game must be in order

Morrison - 38th here last year, 4th last week, consistent player in 2009

Van Zyl - multiple winner on Sunshine tour, consistent, 28th last week, 47th week before after an opening 76

Maritz - consistent performer, 28th last week, 28th last year here

De Jager - consistent performer, also 28th last week

Sony Open to follow later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment